port:openssl dependency

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Jan 10 19:49:21 UTC 2018

Dear users and maintainers of

	qt5
	qt55
	qt56
	qt57
	qt58
	qt59
	fbthrift
	folly
	lua-luasec
	qca
	wangle
	scummvm
	libstrophe
	profanity
	qpid-proton
	snort
	ldas-tools-framecpp
	html-xml-utils
	phantomjs

,

these ports specify a hard dependency on openssl with "port:openssl".
I wonder whether this requirement can be relaxed to what e.g. lynx does:

	path:lib/libssl.dylib:openssl

This means a 'lib/libssl.dylib' needs to be present in $prefix,
and if it's not, it gets installed by installing openssl.
The point of specifying the dependency this way is that
some port other than openssl can already provide that library,
in this case typically libressl.

That's how I have e.g. lynx installed: install libressl,
then install lynx; it notices lib/libssl.dylib already exists,
and builds against that, instead of pulling in openssl to provide it.

Many other ports do it this way; the abovee ports are the exception.
That's why I want to find whether it works with them too.

I use none of these ports (but will try to do the full builds).
Could you, the users and maintainers, please test this with your port
and report success or failure here, or preferably at

I understand that fbthrift and folly in particular say in their Portfile
that a build against libressl fails, as of 2016-09-05.
Was there any progress in that?
https://trac.macports.org/changeset/153373
https://trac.macports.org/changeset/153371
https://github.com/facebook/fbthrift/issues/61