lib dependency confusion

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Jan 12 20:27:20 UTC 2018

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> Then I guess I shouldn't bother submitting an as-static-as-possible
>> bash build variant, which is necessary if one wants a safe
>> /bin/{bash,sh} on OS versions Apple didn't update for ShellShock. It's
>> a bit ugly anyway...
>
> If you're suggesting that with this variant you would build bash with
> MacPorts and then replace /bin/bash with it, then no, that would not be
> something I would necessarily advocate having in MacPorts.

As a point of interest, FreeBSD has a /rescue directory for that very
thing e.g:

     aneurin% file /rescue/sh
     /rescue/sh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, for FreeBSD 10.4, FreeBSD-style, stripped

Whether Apple wants to admit that its machines can crash and thereby cream
the filesystem is another question...