MacPorts has stopped running

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Sun Jan 14 14:37:56 UTC 2018

On Jan 14, 2018, at 9:13 AM, Lenore Horner <LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I managed to achieve something similar the other day by creating a .bash_profile which then got read instead of my .profile that had my MacPorts path changes.  Once I moved the things I wanted from .bash_profile to .profile, deleted .bash_profile and opened a new terminal window, port was back.
> Lenore

That is as to be expected.

From the bash man page under INVOCATION:

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a  non-interactive  shell
       with  the  --login  option,  it  first  reads  and  executes commands from the file
       /etc/profile, if  that  file  exists.   After  reading  that  file,  it  looks  for
       ~/.bash_profile,  ~/.bash_login,  and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and exe-
       cutes commands from the first one that exists and  is  readable.   The  --noprofile
       option may be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.

       When  a  login  shell  exits,  bash  reads  and  executes  commands  from  the file
       ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

       When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash reads and exe-
       cutes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.  This may be inhibited by using
       the --norc option.  The --rcfile file option will force bash to  read  and  execute
       commands from file instead of ~/.bashrc.

Note that the shell only processes THE FIRST file it finds.

"Never be cruel; never be cowardly; and never ever eat pears.” - The Doctor

William H. Magill

magill at icloud.com
whmagill at gmail.com