10.13.2 supplemental update & root account

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 09:41:51 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 16/01/18 09:13, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Using the root account is not recommended; you should use an admin account instead.
>>
>> If you must use the root account, and you have no admin account with which to enable it the normal way, you can apparently enable it in single user mode:
>>
>> http://sachinparmarblog.com/enable-root-user-password-in-single-user-mode/
>
> The issue is not whether or not I'm using the root account or not ;
> neither how and why I'm using it on my boxes - that's purely my own
> business ; and -frankly- please stay out of that !

This is a MacPorts mailing list and the recommendation from MP is to use
sudo. Its perfectly reasonable to state this on this list in response to
your reply. You are indeed free to do what you want on your own systems
but if you choose to move away from that recommendation then the
consequences are on your own head.

> So far, none of you have netiher referenced or nor commented on the
> _REAL_ issue which is Apple de-activating the root account in a
> supplementary update when they -in my opinion- shouldn't do that :-(

Maybe we don't have anything much to say about it. This is after all a
MacPorts mailing list and this has nothing specifically to do with
MacPorts. I suggest you take your concerns elsewhere.

Chris