binary packages for 10.5.8

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Jan 16 12:22:02 UTC 2018

On Jan 16 09:49:32, jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk wrote:
> > > I find it useful to have a ppc builder available to have at least some
> > > feedback about problems on that platform, but also because any PPC
> > > machine is super slow and MacPorts is often the most important part
> > > that actually makes those machines still usable. In most cases the
> > > port would build on 10.5/i386 if it builds on both 10.5/ppc and 10.6.
> >
> > Building on more platforms surely is a benefit in itself,
> > exposing bugs that only show up on some archs.
>
> Building on ancient OSes like 10.5 does not really help in that regard, as
> its highly unlike any issues that come up are anything upstream maintainers
> of packages would have an interest in fixing.

That depends on the upstream I guess.
You don't want your software to run on MacOS 10.5.8?

I understand that some things have changed massively
(audio output across 10.5.8 - 10.13.2, anyone?),
but basic POSIX C should still work the same.

I am stuck with 10.5.8 on this particular machine anyway.

	Jan