can macports be less strict with aux packages download?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Jan 17 17:17:43 UTC 2018

On 17 January 2018 at 18:06, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jan 17 16:48:02, mojca at macports.org wrote:
>> On 16 January 2018 at 18:07, islaind via macports-users wrote:
>> > can macports be less strict with aux packages download?
>> > -------------------------------------------------------
>> > (on osx 10.8.5, port version 2.4.2)
>> >
>> > In installing xpdf 'port' decides to install perl 5.24 (I have already
>> > installed perl 5.22)
>> > then requires to install OpenMotif which in turn prompts me to install the
>> > following:
>> >
>> > perl5.16 @5.16.3
>> > perl5.22 @5.22.2
>>
>> If you are promted to install perl5.16 and perl5.22 then something is
>> seriously outdated on your system.
>
> Perl 5.22 is last July.
> Is that considered "seriously outdated" in Perl land?

It might not be outdated in the Perl land, but it definitely means
that the user didn't update MacPorts since October 2016 or longer and
that *IS* considered seriously outdated. Esp. because MacPorts does
not guarantee that users would be able to update it automatically if
more than one year has passed since the last update.

The fact that some port requested 5.16 means that the user didn't
update MacPorts since at least 2015.

Mojca