scp ignores case in filenames?

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Fri Jan 19 13:44:45 UTC 2018

On Jan 19 06:48:37, rlhamil at smart.net wrote:
> By default, macOS (like Windows with NTFS filesystem)
> is case-preserving but NOT case-sensitive.
> In other words, names that differ only by case
> refer to the same file.

That's exactly what I was missing. Thanks.

> For a case-preserving but case-insensitive filesystem,
> the behavior was exactly as I'd expect.

My problem was I didn't know the FS is like that.

> One can create either HFS+ or APFS filesystems to be case-sensitive,

I tend to leave the OS installation to its defaults,
unless needed otherwise (this might be the case though :-).

> but for backwards compatibility with macOS's pre-Unix ancestors,

Huh. What are those?

> that is obviously not the default.

More importantly (to me, anyway),
it _is_ the default on any other UNIX I have seen.

> Ideally, all programs would refer consistently to file names,
> so except for how a human types them in, it wouldn't matter.

"Ideally", the filename is exactly what I said it is.

> But any exception would be broken on a case-sensitive filesystem;

What "exception"?

"FILE" is "FILE". "file" is "file".
Nothing to do with each other.

> is it worth the risk of breakage to switch (I have seen some
> in the past that would have broken)? Is it worth the inconvenience
> of having to enter case correctly
> (for those not already accustomed to doing that)?

Well, exactly. I find it a much bigger inconvenience
that the filename is _not_ what I said.

No point in moaning about how thing are, I suppose.
I just didn't know till now. Thanks for the insight.

	Jan