scp ignores case in filenames?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Jan 19 16:09:42 UTC 2018

> On Jan 19, 2018, at 09:53, db <iamsudo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 19 Jan 2018, at 15:23, Vincent Habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:
>> I’ve been working for years on case-sensitive HFS+/APFS file systems (coming from BSD Unix) and never encountered any problem. Only PyCharm needs an extra configuration line to be inserted. But that’s the only side effect I ever stumbled upon.
>
> A while ago I read about some applications having problems, namely Steam, CrashPlan, Adobe Creative Suite, Norton AV. But since this is MacPorts, I wonder if anyone has had problems specifically with a port not working and crashing.

At a mere guess, I'd say there'd be very little of that.  Most of the code originated on Linux or one of the *BSD's; and most of them would default to case-sensitive filesystems, even if they had the option.  So their code would be well-behaved.

Continuing the guess, I'd say that code originating on a by-default case-insensitive system (like macOS, but also Windows, as far as that goes) would be more likely to have careless capitalization inconsistencies.