scp ignores case in filenames?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Jan 19 18:20:45 UTC 2018

On 19 Jan 2018, at 11:09, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2018, at 09:53, db <iamsudo at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> But since this is MacPorts, I wonder if anyone has had problems
>> specifically with a port not working and crashing.
>>

> At a mere guess, I'd say there'd be very little of that.  Most of the
> code originated on Linux or one of the *BSD's; and most of them would
> default to case-sensitive filesystems, even if they had the option.
> So their code would be well-behaved.

Also, it is a well-known issue to people porting open source onto MacOS
X, so problems won't usually get through.

WAY back, (2001?) a substantial number of OSS projects used 2 or more of
Makefile, makefile, and MAKEFILE in their build process (different
files) and they simply would not build on MacOS. Around the same time,
it was easy to cause massive system-wide breakage by using CPAN to
install the LWP "HEAD" tool.