Installing Octave on Snow Leo

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 23 10:06:20 UTC 2018

On Jan 21, 2018, at 02:47, Bill Cole wrote:

> The worst problem generally on SL is the trickle of creeping C++11 dependencies that have made it essentially mandatory to do this: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems and then hack around breakage in ports like lz4 that blindly ignore the MacPorts tweaks that can allow them to build.

With the advent of the cxx11 1.1 portgroup and the associated changes that allow clang to build using newer gcc's libstdc++, it is no longer mandatory to use LibcxxOnOlderSystems to be able to build software that uses C++11.

But the port in question does need to provide the right flags to the compiler; the lz4 port doesn't. Therefore users doing LibcxxOnOlderSystems would encounter a build failure for this port too, until this problem is fixed. I'm looking into fixing this problem. It is not something a user should need to "hack around"; if adjusting the portfile to work with cxx11 1.1 or LibcxxOnOlderSystems was necessary, then it merits filing a bug report (so that we can fix it so that other users don't need to hack it) as you did for lz4:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55733