display issue when launching qalculate

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 15:40:21 UTC 2018

On 1/26/18 05:00 , macports-users-request at lists.macports.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:02:11 +1100
> From: Joshua Root<jmr at macports.org>
> To: Murray Davis<murray.g.davis at gmail.com>
> Cc: MacPorts Users<macports-users at lists.macports.org>
> Subject: Re: display issue when launching qalculate
>
> Murray Davis wrote:
>> This morning, I installed qalculate on my MacOSX system.
>>
>> High Sierra, MacPorts up-to-date, version 2.4.2.
>>
>> When I try to launch qalculate, I get the following error...
>>
>> ~ $ qalculate-gtk
>>
>> (qalculate-gtk:1638): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display
>>
>> I played around with the DISPLAY environment variables as well as
>> installing the mac port, xorg-server. However, the only thing that worked
>> was installing XQartz and then launching qalculate from its terminal
>> program.
>>
>> This is not an ideal solution since the graphics of the app are very poor.
>>
>> Is there another solution that would allow qalculate to open with Mac
>> graphic quality?
> I haven't tried it myself, but qalculate is a gtk3 app, so if the gtk3
> port is installed with +quartz rather than +x11 it should display in the
> native window environment.
>
> - Josh

This is what I do (gtk3 +quartz). It takes a bit of effort, though, to
ensure that all of the relevant gtk3 deps are also +quartz. If already
installed as +x11, it takes a bit of manual intervention. Also, you
probably want the adwaita-icon-theme.

Still, qalculate-gtk should look OK with X11, but I have not tested it
recently. Using xorg-server works for other x11 ports on my computer,
e.g., xlogo.

Jonathan