OpenSSH with Mac Keychain

Chao-Chin Yang ccyang at unlv.edu
Wed Jan 31 20:28:18 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am running into an issue with OpenSSH which does not remember the passphrase of my private key.

When I ssh to a remote host using public/private key authentication, a dialog box asking for the passphrase pops up.  I enter the passphrase *and* tick the box to ask Keychain to remember my passphrase.  After that, I can successfully log into the remote system, but there is a message: "Could not add identity: /Users/my_username/.ssh/id_rsa”.

I can continue to log into the remote system without entering again the passphrase.  However, once I completely log out of my Mac and re-log into my Mac, the terminal does not remember my passphrase anymore.

After googling around, it seems that the Mac native SSH has added a new SSH keyword “UseKeychain”, while the MacPorts version does not have this keyword and is having problem talking to Keychain.  I cannot find any solution to this.

Does anyone know any solution or is working on one?

======
ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.12.6
BuildVersion:	16G1212
Darwin ***.***.***.edu 16.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.7.0: Thu Jan 11 22:59:40 PST 2018; root:xnu-3789.73.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Xcode Version 9.2 (9C40b)
MacPorts 2.4.2
openssh @7.6p1_1+gsskex+kerberos5+xauth
openssh @7.6p1_2+gsskex+kerberos5+xauth (active)