gcc49 fails to build

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Jun 5 16:42:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Here is the bug report corresponding to that problem:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56511

Ooh - a utility called "sw_vers"!  I wonder what other hidden gems are
lurking, essentially undocumented, on one of Apple's finest products?

After over 40 years of Unix programming, this Mac never ceases to astonish
me...  No, I'm not being sarcastic (for once).

Anyway...

> gcc4x is not compatible with Xcode 9.2. It may not be compatible with
> any Xcode 9.x. Use gcc5 or later if possible. We don't plan to backport
> the fixes to make gcc4x compatible with newer Xcode.

And, err, how do I achieve that?  I have this odd expectation that
MacPorts "just works" i.e. the dependencies have been taken care of for
me.

Speaking of Xcode, I keep being offered to upgrade it, but it will only
run on High Sierra.  The first time I tried that, I got a message about
something being incompatible with this box which I couldn't write down
fast enough before it reverted to Sierra.  The next time I tried (paying
more attention this time), it bombed out because a critical file was
missing...  I suppose I'd better start putting money aside from my old age
pension (yes, I'm a pensioner) to buy an Air or something.

-- Dave, the iconoclast