Advice on distributing a project

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jun 13 22:35:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-13 21:37, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) wrote:
>  (2) Package all of the compiled libraries and dependencies into a Mac-like app and distribute binaries, but not a portfile.  Will "port pkg"  do this if I write a portfile for the project?  Can I tell it to include the vtk libraries that have been built outside of MacPorts?

You could use 'sudo port mpkg', which creates a single .pkg installer
that includes the files for the port and all of its dependencies. This
assumes that you have a port that provides the required vtk libraries.
It is not possible to include extra files that are not provided by a port.

If you are going to distribute this installer, please use a prefix other
than /opt/local for it, to avoid a collision for users that also use
MacPorts.

https://guide.macports.org/#using.binaries.binary-packages

Rainer