Advice on distributing a project

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 16 01:53:45 UTC 2018

On Jun 14, 2018, at 12:58, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) wrote:

> Thanks for the advice.  If I make a new non-standardly located macports directory on my system, build my program and all of its dependencies in that directory (including dependencies that aren't packaged with macports), and then package it with "port mpkg", is that guaranteed to avoid conflicts on users' systems?  I'd be using both a non-default installation prefix in my portfile, and also a non-default version of macports to build it.

Note that "port mpkg" will only include files that were (or can be) installed by MacPorts (with "sudo port install ..."). If your software depends on things that aren't in MacPorts, you'll have to write Portfiles for those things first, and either contribute them to MacPorts for inclusion in our repository, or at least have them available in the PortIndex of the MacPorts installation in which you run "port mpkg".