Boost 1.67

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Jun 21 14:20:14 UTC 2018

See < https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56294 >.

Boost 1.67.0 has significant changes in the way it handles time computations that are not ABI or API backward compatible with any prior Boost.

I think all of the ports I maintain are multi-Boost compatible, and I've seen updates to others I don't maintain. But, there are some 234 ports ("port echo depends:boost") that depend on Boost, and the ones I know work maybe account for 40 of those ...

Thus, something that would be helpful / useful would be to use the patch provided in the ticket above & update to the new Boost, then go through the dependent ports & see if they install & if not then open a ticket for each that doesn't. It'll be time-consuming and tedious (at least for me it would), but that way we'll have a handle on how much work it'll be to do the update. I think if we can hit 75% that either work are can be easily updated to work (via a version update or a known-working patch), then we're hitting the threshold for pushing this Boost update.

Note that these are my opinions as a co-maintainer of the port; I don't speak for the rest of MacPorts nor the other co-maintainer. Boost updates are tricky, and impact lots of ports, so we have to be careful to test them out well.

Hope this is useful. - MLD