Advice on distributing a project

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jun 22 14:28:01 UTC 2018

> I'm making some progress in writing a Portfile for my project, but I'm stuck on one point.  The project's build script uses python distutils (which I'd be happy to get rid of but that's not likely to happen soon).   The build commands, outside of MacPorts, are
>
> python setup.py build --3D
> python setup.py install  --3D --prefix=/some/installation/directory

Given that this is a distutils-based project, you should probably be
using the python portgroup.

<https://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.portgroup.html#reference.portgroup.python>

At the very least, some of its settings will be useful to you, such as
the default value set for destroot.destdir:

<https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/python-1.0.tcl#L234>

- Josh