Advice on distributing a project

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 23 02:35:18 UTC 2018

On Jun 22, 2018, at 09:12, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) wrote:

> If I change the MacPorts build phase so that it runs "python setup.py build install --prefix=${destroot}, then everything that MacPorts needs to install will be in ${destroot}/lib, ${destroot}/bin, etc.  Will the default MacPorts destroot phase work properly in that case?  How do I restore the default destroot after redefining build.cmd, since destroot.cmd uses build.cmd when build.cmd is defined?

I don't know how to do what you want to do properly in MacPorts; I'm not well versed in Python software. But your proposal is probably not the right way. With the vast majority of ports, you want to build in the build phase, and install the files into the destroot in the destroot phase; only a very small number of weird custom build systems can't accommodate that and have to combine these two tasks into a single phase.

I wasn't specific enough earlier. The destroot takes the place of the root of the filesystem (/). So, if, without using a destroot, files would have been installed to ${prefix}, then with a destroot files would be installed into ${destroot}${prefix}. Files do not get installed directly to ${destroot}.

I agree with Joshua's suggestion to try using the python 1.0 portgroup.