The ease of downloading precompiled binaries.

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 19:07:08 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-04, at 10:41 AM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at macports.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you saying here. MacPorts only ever links against the current version of a library. Why don't you explain what kind of problem you are having here, and perhaps we can help more?

bash-3.2# ffprobe
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libx264.148.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/ffprobe
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
bash-3.2#

ffprobe and ffmpeg do not link against the generic libx264 and libx265, but against specific versions at a specific location.

The worst of this? None of the x265 ports I have  available to activate have a version of X264 that old. So I can't even figure out how ffmpeg and ffprobe got that particular dynamic library to link against. And activating different versions of ffmpeg results in linking against different versions of the X264 and X265 libraries (different filenames, with different version numbers).

>> Right now, trying to deal with a current version that won't compile,
>
> Current version of what? Upstream ffmepg? The ffmpeg port?
> Why do you need this current version, as opposed to
> the precompiled one which just works for you?

The current version of the ffmpeg port will not compile. And apparently the bug report is four months old.
Previous versions, which did work, I cannot restore the environment well enough that they will run/link properly.
Downloaded, it just works.

> David
>
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to understand the Mac ports philosophy on this.
>
> I was able to download a precompiled binary for ffmpeg, and ffprobe.
>
> In both cases, it was a single file. In both cases it just worked.
>
> Right now, trying to deal with a current version that won't compile, and past versions that are linked against different versions of libraries, it is a complete bleep.
>
> Why is it not possible to just ask for "link against whatever version of this library is current"?
> Why, if I have to link against one exact specific version of a library at one exact location, can I not just make it a static link?
>
> Why do I have to have what looks to be the worst possible case of dynamic linking?
>
> As I said: I'm trying to understand the thinking here. I'm trying to understand the philosophy here.
>
> ---
> Entertaining minecraft videos
> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---