The ease of downloading precompiled binaries.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 5 04:49:38 UTC 2018

On Mar 4, 2018, at 13:07, Michael wrote:

> On 2018-03-04, at 10:41 AM, David Strubbe wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what you saying here. MacPorts only ever links against the current version of a library. Why don't you explain what kind of problem you are having here, and perhaps we can help more?
>

> bash-3.2# ffprobe
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libx264.148.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/ffprobe
>   Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap: 5
> bash-3.2#

You'll have to update ffmpeg. (But I know you can't, since you said below it doesn't build for you...)

> ffprobe and ffmpeg do not link against the generic libx264 and libx265, but against specific versions at a specific location.

There is no generic version. There is always only a specific version. This is how library linking works on macOS. And on other UNIX operating systems, from what I understand. The whole reason why a library's major version increases is to indicate binary incompatibility and the need to recompile.

> The worst of this? None of the x265 ports I have  available to activate have a version of X264 that old. So I can't even figure out how ffmpeg and ffprobe got that particular dynamic library to link against. And activating different versions of ffmpeg results in linking against different versions of the X264 and X265 libraries (different filenames, with different version numbers).
>
>>> Right now, trying to deal with a current version that won't compile,
>>
>> Current version of what? Upstream ffmepg? The ffmpeg port?
>> Why do you need this current version, as opposed to
>> the precompiled one which just works for you?
>
> The current version of the ffmpeg port will not compile. And apparently the bug report is four months old.

There are 28 open tickets about ffmpeg... which one are you referring to?