Is there and "rdist" for Mac?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Mar 16 22:49:57 UTC 2018

Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> What should I be using now?
>>
>> Possibly git.
>
> And...
>

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> Sounds to me like you are describing a git hosted software project,
>> which you then clone and build where ever you need it. Each clone is its
>> own repostory, which you can commit to and push back to / pull from the
>> central repo (which will be, for instance, the github version).
>
> OK, looks like I get to be a git[*] :-)  I've heard of it, but needed a
> project to see what it can do; looks like I now have one...
>
> Thanks.

I'll just note that git is not the only distributed version control
system, and others like mercurial and bazaar are often considered to
have better user experience. GitHub is popular, and there is value in
that, but we'd be doing you a disservice if you came away with the
impression that git is the only viable choice, especially for a personal
project.

I'm sure you can find various posts on the web listing the drawbacks of
each DVCS as learned from time using them. :)

- Josh