Is there and "rdist" for Mac?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 17 13:31:32 UTC 2018

Hi

> On 17 Mar 2018, at 12:54 pm, Peter Hancock <hancock at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On 16/03/2018 22:49, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>> I'll just note that git is not the only distributed version control
>> system, and others like mercurial and bazaar are often considered to
>> have better user experience. GitHub is popular, and there is value in
>> that, but we'd be doing you a disservice if you came away with the
>> impression that git is the only viable choice, especially for a personal
>> project.
>
> There is an amusing site at https://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/
> that anyone who has struggled to understand the more arcane features of git
> will recognise.

I guess the fact it took me a moment or two to work out the joke shows the point ;)

Yes, of course, it’s completely correct to point out there are alternatives, and, Yes, git has some esoteric hard to understand features... but if you stick to the basics (clone/commit/push/pull) i think its easy to get going. Given the popularity of git and github, over the alternatives, I think i would still suggest going with it...

Chris