Trouble compiling with gcc 4.8 on 10.5 PowerPC

Kenneth F. Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:44:06 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-18, at 7:32 AM, Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

> Thanks, this indeed solved all my problems!

Great!

> There's just one little problem remaining: I cannot use gcc-ar-mp-6 because
> it reports the following error: "Cannot find plugin liblto_plugin.so".

Will see how this is on my PPC machines at home.

> Another question: How can I make my program compatible with 10.4?

The symbols and linkage and construction are os version dependent.

The easiest thing to do would be to install ibgcc on the 10.4 system using MacPorts, and see if that works to support your application when you build it on 10.5 and move it backwards. It might work just doing that. It might not.

If not, then it gets complicated. Cameron Kaiser builds TenFourFox for PPC machines, a Firefox clone. It's about as complicated a piece of software that exists for PPC these days, and he has all these issues. He has a lot of documentation regarding how he does this on his github repo, but in essence, builds against the 10.4u SDK on 10.5, and sets the deployment target to 10.4. Then moves the parts into the application bundle and rejigs the library links.

All rather complicated, but interesting in how it's done.

Far easier to just build your application on 10.4 PPC in the first place. That's what I do for most things.

>  I'm also running MorphOS on my PowerPC Macs. This
> is another PPC operating system inspired by AmigaOS.

I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Best,