Installing gcc6 on a PPC Mac Mini 10.4 gives me hell

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 18:59:01 UTC 2018

Hi

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 5:21 pm, Andreas Falkenhahn <andreas at falkenhahn.com> wrote:
>
> On 20.03.2018 at 23:59 Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> You can call these OSes ‘retro’ if you want, to make it sound good,
>> but all they really are, are outdated and insecure.
>
> By the way, another reason to use "outdated and insecure" operating
> systems from a programmer's point of view is backwards compatibility.
> Of course, the latest Xcode versions allow you to target older Mac OS
> versions with just a mouse click but this stuff is often hardly tested
> and I've seen the strangest things happen when building for 10.6 on
> 10.13 let's say.

No one should still be targeting such an outdated OS as 10.6, so this argument is moot, in my opinion.

Look, if you want to run insecure OSes like this, that is your choice, and I would not want to try and suggest you should not have the free will to do so. I just hope our digital paths never cross… I also still maintain MacPorts should not be going out of its way to promote the idea its OK to use such OSes. If it where my choice, I would drop OSX releases < say 10.10… It isn’t, and thats fine, but thats just my opinion.

Lets leave this here, as we aren’t going to agree on this it seems.

Chris