platforms

Jan StarĂ½ hans at stare.cz
Sat Mar 24 12:54:21 UTC 2018

The 'platforms' field of a Portfile is currently
both _required_ and _ignored_. By the Guide,

	A list of the platforms on which the port has been tested.
	Required, but not interpreted in any way by the software
	at this time; it is purely informational for users.

Also, it is allowed to say .e.g. "freebsd" but not e.g. "openbsd".

I propose that the 'platforms' field be no longer required
if it is ignored, and if it stays, let it be a free form text,
as opposed to a predefined definitive list of all unixes.

Better yet, drop it altogether. The fact that I tested on Solaris
or Debian means nothing regarding the MP port. I have also tested
it on darwin of course, but that goes without saying.

(What would be kinda useful is if it pointed to the actual _ports_
on the other systems - often there are things we can learn, as they
battle a lot of the same GNUisms etc. For example, the patch for opus
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1217 is basically
the OpenBSD patch for opus. So if opus 'platforms' pointed to
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/audio/opus/
it would be usefull. Unlike now.)

	Jan