Heads-up: PROJ

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 10:48:21 UTC 2018

Hey there,

I’m going to commit a major overhaul to the “proj” port. Currently, “proj” is split between proj47 and proj, the latter corresponding to proj 5.0.0 recently released.

The problem is this:

• Proj 5.0.0 is buggy, unusable at least with QGis until a bugfix version is out;
• Proj and proj47 can be installed together, but since proj installs its files in ${prefix} whereas proj47 does in ${prefix}/lib/proj${version}/…, even if proj47 location is specified in the Portfile, because of the order in which -I… include paths are emitted at compile time, the compiler ends up seeing always proj include files instead of proj47;
• Proj47 is obsolete, latest proj4 version is 4.9.3.

What I am going to do:

• Rename proj47 port into proj4 and update it to proj 4.9.3;
• Change the proj Portfile so that it installs files in ${prefix}/lib/proj5, in such a way that both proj4 and proj(5) can be used simultaneously without conflicting;
• Update all portfiles that currently depend on proj → proj4, until a suitable proj 5 bug fix version is released.

What I could do:

• Rename proj into proj5. Does anyone objects to this?

Cheers
Vincent