Default fortran changed to +gcc8

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:53:32 UTC 2018

I followed the note below after a selfupdate:

NOTE: Default fortran changed to +gcc8; consider switching variants to enable
pre-built packages for mpich-default by running:
  "sudo port clean mpich-default && sudo port upgrade mpich-default +gcc8-gcc<N>” (should be ggc7)

However it resulted in:

Warning: Skipping upgrade since mpich-default 3.2.1_5 >= mpich-default 3.2.1_5, even though installed variants "+gcc7" do not match "+gcc8". Use 'upgrade --enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
--->  Computing dependencies for gcc8
--->  Fetching archive for gcc8
--->  Attempting to fetch gcc8-8.2.0_3.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/gcc8
--->  Attempting to fetch gcc8-8.2.0_3.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/gcc8
--->  Installing gcc8 @8.2.0_3
--->  Activating gcc8 @8.2.0_3
--->  Cleaning gcc8
--->  Updating database of binaries
--->  Updating database of C++ stdlib usage
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  Found 33 broken files, matching files to ports
--->  Found 2 broken ports, determining rebuild order
You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.
The following ports will be rebuilt:
 py36-tables @3.4.4
 octave @4.4.1+accelerate+app+docs+gfortran+graphicsmagick+qt5+sound+sundials
Continue? [Y/n]:

an hour later it finished rebuilding those ports.

should I now issue port 'rev-upgrade' or 'upgrade --enforce-variants’ to rebuild mpich-default with gcc8?

Mark Brethen
mark.brethen at gmail.com