Help please

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 15 06:29:53 UTC 2018

> On Nov 15, 2018, at 00:11, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
>
> Is the wiki wrong?
> This does not look correct:
>
> [twill] /Users/jam [24]% tail -n 2 /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
> # rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
> https://distfiles.macports.org/ports.tar.gz [default]
>
> [twill] /Users/jam [25]% sudo port -v  selfupdate
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
> Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
> Exit code: 10

You apparently can't connect to our rsync server. Various network conditions or firewall or antivirus software could cause that. If you cannot resolve it by working with your network administrator or by uninstalling the software that's causing the problem, then you will not be able to use selfupdate (you'll have to update MacPorts base by downloading the installer from our web site) and you will need to configure MacPorts to use a method other than rsync for sync (for when you want to update your ports tree). One method is to use the ports.tar.gz file, as you've discovered from reading the wiki.