Problem with enscript

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Nov 17 04:55:00 UTC 2018

On 16 Nov 2018, at 18:20, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Let me guess: sign off (losing all my sessions) and sign on again as
> "root" (which I've had to do to restore files outside my home
> directory with Time Machine)?  Install my shim, sign on again as
> myself, see what's wrong, sign on again as "root" to undo what I did
> to debug a problem, then sign on again, repeating as necessary?

WORSE.
Rather than just logging in as root, (which you COULD do in a shell,
after all...) you have to reboot into single-user or "Recovery Mode" to
switch it on and off with the 'csrutil' tool.

> Why not just let me modify the root file system, and take the
> responsibility for it?

It's not about you. It's about rootkits.

> Sometimes I think that Apple goes too far in protecting users from
> themselves...

Given the prevalence of rootkits as a dominant form of malware in the
modern world, it isn't really Apple just protecting us from ourselves,
it is protecting us from a broad range of possible attacks.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org