What installs "pip"?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 18 18:42:12 UTC 2018

> Aha. So,
>
> keybounceMBP:js-beautify michael$ port select pip pip36
> Selecting 'pip36' for 'pip' failed: could not create new link "/opt/local/bin/pip" pointing to "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/pip": permission denied
> keybounceMBP:js-beautify michael$ sudo !!
> sudo port select pip pip36
> Password:
> Selecting 'pip36' for 'pip' succeeded. 'pip36' is now active.
> keybounceMBP:js-beautify michael$
>
> While installing pip36 does result in "port select --summary" showing that it is active, it actually is NOT until you run the port select command. Odd.

No, not odd at all.

What you showed is

> keybounceMBP:js-beautify michael$ port select --summary
> Name       Selected  Options
> pip        none      pip36 none

so pip36 and none are valid available options, but the one you had active at the time was none. i,e. nothing was selected, which is exactly what you found.

> (Equally odd -- installing python36 in the first place did not install a pip if it is part of the python system).

It was installed, as ‘pip-3.6’.

You have to manually decide to ‘port select’ it if you want to use that version as ‘pip’ or ‘pip3’.

> Side question: Why is there not just a "python3", why do we have to specifically select one of several versions?

Because macPorts offers various different 3.x versions, so gives use the ability to pick which they want by default themselves.

Chris