Can not remove the new MacPorts Mojave package

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 25 09:30:28 UTC 2018

On Nov 23, 2018, at 11:18, Dr M J Carter wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 03:47:26PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It's not System Integrity Protection (SIP) either; that applies to
>> files Apple provides with the OS, which does not include MacPorts.
>
> SIP may well care to some extent about users' home directories, as
> logging in with a nonexistent homedir causes more fundamental grief
> than if it's empty.  We get that sometimes with our systems; from
> memory, an attempted macOS login with a missing homedir can hang the
> OS hard enough to need a reboot, while an empty one can be populated.

As far as I know, SIP has nothing to do with your home directory. SIP prevents you from modifying programs, libraries and other files that Apple installed as part of macOS in system directories like /usr and /System.

Completely unrelated to that, I'm not surprised that macOS assumes your home directory exists, and that things blow up if it does not, so don't remove your home directory.