port not installing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 9 01:38:52 UTC 2018

Don't forget to Reply All so that the conversation stays on the mailing list.

On Oct 8, 2018, at 19:12, M P wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:19 PM Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 8, 2018, at 07:19, M P wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > There is a port "nco" listed as available but its installation fails under Mojave 10.14
>> > with
>> >
>> > sudo port install nco
>> > Error: Port nco not found
>> >
>> > What is the reason?
>>
>> Sounds like a problem with your port index. Try running
>>
>> sudo port -v selfupdate
>>
>> See if any errors are printed about the port index, or if it works after doing that.
>
> %sudo port -v selfupdate
>
> Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
>
> Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
> Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.
>
> Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
> Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.
>
> Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
> Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.
>
> Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
> Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.
>

> receiving file list ... done
> ./
> ports.tar
> ports.tar.rmd160
>
> sent 56412 bytes  received 128745 bytes  41146.00 bytes/sec
>
> total size is 64589312  speedup is 348.84

Is that the complete output you see? What you should see is:

--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
receiving file list ... done
base.tar

sent 38 bytes  received 15706352 bytes  1495846.67 bytes/sec
total size is 85608960  speedup is 5.45
receiving file list ... done
base.tar.rmd160

sent 38 bytes  received 625 bytes  442.00 bytes/sec
total size is 512  speedup is 0.77
MacPorts base version 2.5.4 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.5.4 downloaded.
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar
receiving file list ... done
./
ports.tar
ports.tar.rmd160

sent 112 bytes  received 12370338 bytes  1455347.06 bytes/sec
total size is 64589824  speedup is 5.22
receiving file list ... done
PortIndex

sent 38 bytes  received 1760189 bytes  1173484.67 bytes/sec
total size is 12000859  speedup is 6.82
receiving file list ... done
PortIndex.rmd160

sent 38 bytes  received 626 bytes  1328.00 bytes/sec
total size is 512  speedup is 0.77
--->  MacPorts base is already the latest version

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
  port upgrade outdated

Admittedly MacPorts does perform some optimizations, for example it does not try to fetch the portindex from our server if the index already exists and was updated less than a day ago. I actually deleted my /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org directory to get MacPorts to produce the above output. You could try doing that to get it to retry downloading everything.

If MacPorts doesn't download a portindex from our server, it should try to update the index locally on your system. So I still don't understand why neither of those things seem to have happened, but let us know if deleting the rsync.macports.org directory and trying again helps.