port not installing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 9 03:30:01 UTC 2018

On Oct 8, 2018, at 21:26, M P wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 8:24 PM M P wrote:

>> I removed
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org
>>
>> Then still a problem with nco port:
>>
>> %sudo port -v selfupdate
>> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
>>
>> Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
>> Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.
>>
>> Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
>> Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.
>>

>> receiving file list ... done
>> base.tar
>> sent 38 bytes  received 15706352 bytes  229290.36 bytes/sec
>> total size is 85608960  speedup is 5.45
>>
>> Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
>> Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.
>>
>> Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
>> Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.
>>

>> receiving file list ... done
>> base.tar.rmd160
>>
>> sent 38 bytes  received 625 bytes  265.20 bytes/sec
>> total size is 512  speedup is 0.77
>> MacPorts base version 2.5.4 installed,
>> MacPorts base version 2.5.4 downloaded.
>> --->  Updating the ports tree
>> Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar
>>
>> Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
>> Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.
>>
>> Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
>> Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.
>>

>> receiving file list ... done
>> ./
>> ports.tar
>> ports.tar.rmd160
>>
>> sent 112 bytes  received 12370338 bytes  204470.25 bytes/sec
>> total size is 64589824  speedup is 5.22
>>
>> %port upgrade outdated
>> Nothing to upgrade.
>>
>> %sudo port install nco
>> Error: Port nco not found
>>

> Maybe the mirror does not have this port?
> %port search nco
> Warning: Can't open index file for source: rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar
> Error: search for name nco failed: No index(es) found! Have you synced your port definitions? Try running 'port selfupdate'.

All mirrors have all of the port definitions; they just copy them from our primary public server. Also, rsync.macports.org is our primary public server, not a mirror.

Your output still does not show the portindex being fetched or generated, and I don't know why that would happen. In fact selfupdate appears to be exiting entirely, before printing the output that should always be printed at the end, as I showed before:

> --->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>   port upgrade outdated

The question is, where is it exiting? Ok, it fetched ports.tar. Did it verify it? Did it extract it? Can you selfupdate again but use the -d flag instead of -v to get more detailed information?

Have you customized your sources.conf file? If so, what does it contain?

Has this ever worked? If so, when, and what changed since then?