Qt4/KDE4 software under 10.14

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Oct 11 09:06:51 UTC 2018

What "them"?  The KDE folks?  Apple?  I thought Qt4/KDE4 was unsupported.

I gather Qt4 has -graphicssystem { native |  raster | opengl }

If I just run

open -a kshisen

it blinks.  (that's the shell open command, which with -a is invoking the Mac app bundle whose name follows)

If I run

open -a kshisen --args -graphicssystem raster

(what's after --args is passed to the binary within the app bundle as command line arguments without being interpreted by the app launcher)
it also blinks.

If I run

open -a kshisen --args -graphicssystem native

it does NOT blink - at first glance, it looks fine.

If I run

open -a kshisen --args -graphicssystem opengl

then text appears, but all the graphics are blank until I move the window (!), at which time it's fine.

Seems like it may be using the raster option as a default, even if Qt4-mac is not built with the +raster variant.  That may be at the level of the configure script doing that now, I don't know, haven't dug that far, never looked at Qt4 internals before.

Supposedly raster could have been faster than native on some platforms, so I suppose I can see that it might have become the default.  But I don't see that native was slow, although kshisen is not demanding, and I may not have run it before on this relatively new hardware back on High Sierra, so I might not notice speed anyway.