Non-universal build of compiler ignored in universal build attempts of MPlayer

Christian Calderon calderonchristian73 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:25:37 UTC 2018

Hello all! First time asking a question on the mailing list.

I have a Power Mac G5 Quad running OS X 10.5.8. My macports.conf contains
"buildarch pcc" and "universal_archs ppc ppc64". My variants.conf contains
the line "+universal".

I'm trying to build a universal MPlayer mostly to compare a ppc build and a
ppc64 build to see if there are any performance differences. The main
problem so far is that MPlayer depends on llvm-3.3, and that fails to build
with ppc64 enabled. But to my understanding, llvm-3.3 is simply a backend
for a compiler, and even a ppc build of llvm will be able to compile for a
ppc64 target.

So I decided to install llvm-3.3 -universal, to make a ppc only build, with
the assumption that that  should be good enough to then proceed with the
MPlayer build. But when I try to build universal MPlayer again, it also
tries to build llvm-3.3 as universal again.

So is there a way to build MPlayer (or any other ports) as a universal
binary without having to build all the required compilers as universal
binaries themselves? It shouldn't matter what arch the compiler is, as long
as it supports compiling for the target architecture, right? As evidence,
when I enter "llc-mp-3.3 --version" in the terminal, the result shows ppc64
in it's list of registered targets, even though llvm-3.3 was compiled for
the ppc architecture. So it must not be the case that llvm-3.3 has to be
compiled as universal in order to build a universal port.

Maybe if I build the other necessary compiler components, like gcc6, as ppc
only builds first then MPlayer won't try to rebuild llvm-3.3 as universal?

Or does the MPlayer port file need to be changed in order to not force a
universal build of the compilers it depends on?

Thanks,
  Chris