mysql-server: The server quit without updating PID file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 25 15:58:35 UTC 2018

On Oct 25, 2018, at 10:34, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Such searches give different instructions on what permissions to give the mysql datadir !
>
> If the datadir is
>
> 	/Users/me/Databases/mysql/data
>
> (and my.cnf includes "datadir = /Users/murray/Databases/mysql/data”, of course),
> then who should be the owner and what should the permissions be on that directory?
>
> I see all sorts of answers to that, from various mysql versions, or of varying vintage, or on various platforms, or on native /usr/… vs. /opt/.. (latter being MacPorts) configurations — which is leading me to total confusion.
>
> Exactly what chown and chmod commands should be used on the datadir? (Even the official MySQL docs are incomplete on this.)

I would imagine that the data directory should be owned by the user account that runs the MySQL server. Assuming you are using the mysql57-server port and are using "sudo port load" to start that server, and you are on Mac OS X 10.5 or later, the name of the user account is _mysql.

It has been a long time since I've dealt with MySQL. You might check the wiki page for guidance: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MySQL