how make python37 the binary called by "python"

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Oct 29 20:26:02 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-29 21:05, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> After
>
> sudo port select --set python python37
>    Selecting 'python37' for 'python' succeeded. 'python37' is now active.
> I have:
>
> port select --list python
>    Available versions for python:
>    none
>    python27
>    python27-apple
> python37 (active)
>
> Nonetheless:
>
> which python
>    /opt/local/bin/python
> python --version
>    Python 2.7.3
>
> And how do I get the version invoked by “python” at command line to be 3.7?

Your shell cached "python" to mean "/usr/bin/python". It is not
evaluating the full PATH on every command invocation as it would be
quite slow to walk the filesystem every time.

This cache will not be updated unless you tell your shell to do so.
Either run 'hash -r' or close and reopen your terminal window.

Rainer