Updating ffmpeg ...

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 02:26:46 UTC 2018

So two things when I attempted to update macports and ffmpeg.

Number 1: There was a HUGE chain of things to update first. Surprising to me was what looked like all of Xwindows.

XWindows? Why?

After X, it updated openssl, then sqlite3, then python select, then python, then more of X ... followed ultimately by graphite2.

But when all was done, ffmpeg fails. Again.

So, I went to the trac page, to try to find that bug report for ffmpeg that I saw in the past, that I thought I did a "me too" CC on.

I could not find it. Anywhere. This is the new trac bug system, as far as I can tell.

Ffmpeg's success rate for about 2 years has been zero. I will get some variation on:

bash-3.2# port activate ffmpeg @4.0.1_0+gpl2
--->  Computing dependencies for ffmpeg
--->  Deactivating ffmpeg @3.1.4_0+gpl2
--->  Cleaning ffmpeg
--->  Activating ffmpeg @4.0.1_0+gpl2
--->  Cleaning ffmpeg
--->  Some of the ports you installed have notes:
  ffmpeg has the following notes:
    *******
    ******* This build of ffmpeg includes GPLed code and
    ******* is therefore licensed under GPL v2 or later.
    *******
    ******* The following modules are GPLed:
    *******
    *******      postproc
    *******      libx264
    *******      libx265
    *******      libxvid
    *******
    ******* To include all nonfree, GPLed and LGPL code use variant +nonfree.
    ******* To remove nonfree and GPLed code leaving only LGPL code remove the
    ******* +gpl2 variant.
    *******
bash-3.2# ffmpeg
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libx264.152.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/ffmpeg
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
bash-3.2#

I was attempting to restore older versions to try to find the old one that used to work, but none of them did.

And I know I've reported this issue before.