ports to replace removed Server components

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Wed Oct 31 01:37:00 UTC 2018

Per Wikipedia, the mail/IMAP support formerly in Server consisted of:
SMTP (Postfix)
POP and IMAP (Dovecot)
SSL/TLS encryption (OpenSSL)
Mailing lists (Mailman)
Webmail (RoundCube)
Junk mail filtering (SpamAssassin)
Virus detection (ClamAV)

I see that MacPorts has most of those, but not RoundCube or SpamAssassin (although it does have SquirrelMail and SpamProbe), meaning it doesn't provide all the bits for the least painful migration if one is using that functionality.

Was anyone here using that, such that the two missing components would be useful?

Not to mention, Apple's migration document for the removed functionality didn't appear to mention SMTP/IMAP etc at all, meaning that part is figure it out for yourself (or find it if someone else did and documented it and put that online).

I gather there are probably commercial packagings of software that would replace much of the lost functionality...if one wanted to spend more $$.  Given the nuisance, I suspect most folks would just stick it on Linux or Windows instead.