rdepof:wine-devel +x11 +universal fails on installing xattr

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 7 20:34:50 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Sep 7, 2018, at 12:20, Gijs Vermeulen wrote:

> Sorry for the noise, but I'm running the latest version of macports on macOS High Sierra, also the latest version.

You're right that you should not add ppc to universal_archs on macOS High Sierra. You cannot build ppc software with the compilers included with Xcode on High Sierra, nor could you run it even if you could build it.

The libtool port, which is a dependency of the wine ports, requires the xattr command in order to fix a packaging error in the current version of libtool. We will presumably be able to remove this dependency when the next version of libtool is released, assuming it is packaged correctly.

The xattr command is included in Mac OS X Leopard and later, so there should be no need to install the xattr port on recent systems. The xattr port only exists for Tiger, which did not include that command.

If MacPorts is trying to install the xattr port on your system, that implies that your operating system's /usr/bin/xattr command is missing. If that's so, restore it from your backups or reinstall macOS.