rdepof:wine-devel +x11 +universal fails on installing xattr

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 7 20:57:48 UTC 2018

On Sep 7, 2018, at 15:47, Gijs Vermeulen wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Thank you for the reply!
>
> Op vr 7 sep. 2018 om 22:34 schreef Ryan Schmidt:
>> The xattr command is included in Mac OS X Leopard and later, so there should be no need to install the xattr port on recent systems. The xattr port only exists for Tiger, which did not include that command.
>>
>> If MacPorts is trying to install the xattr port on your system, that implies that your operating system's /usr/bin/xattr command is missing. If that's so, restore it from your backups or reinstall macOS.
>
> I am trying this on a clean (just installed xcode, command line tools, java and macports) install of High Sierra (fully updated).
> I just checked and xattr exists in /usr/bin/xattr:
>
> Gijss-MacBook-Pro:~ gverm$ which xattr
> /usr/bin/xattr
>
> So I'm not sure what could be wrong.

Ah. Right.

The problem is that you are asking MacPorts to install *all* of wine-devel's recursive dependencies with the universal variant:

On Sep 7, 2018, at 12:19, Gijs Vermeulen wrote:

> I tried running port install -v rdepof:wine-devel +x11 +universal but it fails when it tries to install xattr.

That includes the xattr port which you don't need.

If you just ran "sudo port install wine-devel" MacPorts should do the right thing.

If that's not possible for some reason and you need to explicitly list every port to install, then manually exclude xattr from the list:

sudo port -v install $( port echo rdepof:wine-devel and not xattr | sed 's/$/ +x11 +universal/' )

P.S: Note also the placement of the "-v" argument. Single-letter flags only have an effect if they are placed right after the "port" command, before the subcommand (before "install" in this case).