rdepof:wine-devel +x11 +universal fails on installing xattr

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 8 00:33:13 UTC 2018

On Sep 7, 2018, at 19:25, Kenneth F. Cunningham wrote:

> On 2018-09-07, at 5:20 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> I guess the real problem is that xattr is not a dependency on almost any system, and so it should not come into the list when you look for the rdeps.
>>>
>>> That sounds like a base bug.
>>
>> What, specifically, do you think the bug is?
>>
>> Are you saying that you don't want rdeps to include bin or lib dependencies that are already satisfied? Why would that be good?
>
> The bug would be that xattr is put forward as an dependency on systems where it is not needed.
>
> ie
>
> port echo rdepof:wine-devel +x11 +universal
>
> should not list "xattr" as a dependency on any system other than 10.4.

I understand that you are saying that, but I'm not convinced that's desirable behavior.

What criteria do you propose to use to exclude the dependency? The dependency is written "bin:xattr:xattr". Do you propose to exclude all bin (and lib?) dependencies? Or do you only propose to exclude bin (and lib?) dependencies that are already satisfied by the specified program (or library?)? And if so, do you exclude the dependency regardless of how the dependency was satisfied, or only if the dependency was satisfied by a file outside of MacPorts? And if the latter, where in MacPorts base should that determination be made? (As far as I know, MacPorts base doesn't currently care where the file that satisfies a bin (or lib) dependency is located.)