compilers on Lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 12 06:51:27 UTC 2018

On Sep 11, 2018, at 01:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> A list of all available variables/keywords, with a description.
>>
>> Yup, that's supposed to be what's in the guide and the manpage.
>
> I see that the guide contains much more details; hopefully, the
> transition to AsciiDoc will yield a uniform output again in the near
> future.

Converting the guide from docbook xml to asciidoc (and converting the remaining manpages to asciidoc) will make them easier to edit, but won't automatically cause information that's in one document to appear in another; someone still needs to manually do that.

>> There are also many portgroups (similar concept to include files
>> in C), which, when included into a port, may add new variables or
>> keywords of their own.  About half of the portgroups are documented
>> in the guide.
>
> And it would be great if the other half gets added too.  Speaking as
> the FreeType maintainer, it costs me an incredible amount of time to
> document the stuff I'm going to add or change – progress in FreeType
> is thus quite slow since the non-programming tasks are so huge...

Yes, it would be great if the remaining portgroups were documented. It would be great if most of the guide were rewritten, in fact. But as you say it will take an incredible amount of time. I've wished for years that I could find the time to do it, but I haven't, and nobody else has stepped up to do it either.