`port install' from github tarball fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 26 01:04:41 UTC 2018

On Sep 25, 2018, at 12:51, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I have to use `sync' anyway since I'm running MacPorts directly from
> the git repositories.

Not sure exactly what you mean.

If you mean you've configured macports to use the macports-ports git repository as your ports tree, then there's no problem running selfupdate. Running selfupdate runs sync for you, unless you use the --no-sync flag.

If you mean you've compiled a newer version of macports from the macports-base git repository, then it's true that selfupdate won't update it, though it won't do any harm either; it'll still sync.