Mirror unpacks distfile before sending

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 4 16:45:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 11:11 PM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 06:34, <macports at raf.org> wrote:
> >
> > it's wierd. i'm seeing the same Content-Encoding header
> > but curl doesn't un-gzip the download for me. neither
> > /usr/bin/curl (7.43.0) nor /opt/local/bin/curl (7.64.1).
> > neither does wget. i wonder what the difference is.
>
> Probably not relevant for this, but some time ago I also had the same
> issue of auto-extracting tarballs; I thought it was the firewall (some
> content / antivirus checking software there) as I only had this
> problem in my office; everywhere else it worked as expected.
>
> Mojca

That *is* relevant.  My Mac is behind an institutional firewall, so this
might be aggravating the problem.  Also I am not able to duplicate the
headers as Ryan showed using curl -I, not with the facebook.net URL.  I
will ask our network admins about this.

It sounds like Raf and Mojca are reporting correct, compressed downloads
from this site, and I am the only one so far that has actually reported
incorrect, uncompressed downloads.  (I checked; my mac gets the same
malfunction with all .tar.gz files from facebook.net, not just the groff
file.)  Does anyone else here get the incorrect, uncompressed result, which
is 17 Mb rather than the expected 4 Mb?

Reminder:  curl -O -R
http://mirror.facebook.net/gnu/groff/groff-1.22.4.tar.gz

--Dave