Mirror unpacks distfile before sending

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 4 22:35:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2019, at 11:45, Dave Allured wrote:
>
> > That *is* relevant.  My Mac is behind an institutional firewall, so this
> might be aggravating the problem.  Also I am not able to duplicate the
> headers as Ryan showed using curl -I, not with the facebook.net URL.  I
> will ask our network admins about this.
>
> What headers are you seeing then? Sounds like your corporate
> firewall/proxy may be rewriting headers and content. This of course is one
> of the reasons why so many sites are switching to https -- to prevent such
> often broken rewriting from taking place.

I learned that we have a corporate gateway in addition to a local
firewall.  It looks like this problem is boiling down to the combination of
a misconfiguration on mirror.facebook.net, and unexpected content
processing with possible misconfiguration on our gateway.  This explains
why all client software, users, and OS types inside our local network get
unavoidable unwanted decompression, yet nobody outside sees the problem.
My network expert agrees, https rather than http would likely prevent this.

Here are the requested headers as seen by curl on my local mac.  These have
obviously been altered somewhere in transit, compared to what Ryan reported
earlier:

> curl -I http://mirror.facebook.net/gnu/groff/groff-1.22.4.tar.gz
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Via: 1.1 137.75.75.19 (McAfee Web Gateway 7.7.2.13.0.25943)