Mirror unpacks distfile before sending

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 4 22:56:44 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:27 AM Bill Cole <
macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

> On 4 Apr 2019, at 12:45, Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate via
> macports-users wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 11:11 PM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org>
> > wrote:

> >> Probably not relevant for this, but some time ago I also had the same
> >> issue of auto-extracting tarballs; I thought it was the firewall
> >> (some
> >> content / antivirus checking software there) as I only had this
> >> problem in my office; everywhere else it worked as expected.
> >>
> >> Mojca
> >>

> > That *is* relevant.  My Mac is behind an institutional firewall, so
> > this
> > might be aggravating the problem.  Also I am not able to duplicate the
> > headers as Ryan showed using curl -I, not with the facebook.net URL.
> > will ask our network admins about this.
> >
> > It sounds like Raf and Mojca are reporting correct, compressed
> > downloads
> > from this site, and I am the only one so far that has actually
> > reported
> > incorrect, uncompressed downloads.  (I checked; my mac gets the same
> > malfunction with all .tar.gz files from facebook.net, not just the
> > groff
> > file.)  Does anyone else here get the incorrect, uncompressed result,
> > which
> > is 17 Mb rather than the expected 4 Mb?
>
> Nope.
>
> Does ~/.curlrc exist? If so, what's in it?
> I can reproduce the behavior with the "--compress" option on the command
> line or in the .curlrc file.

Bill, thanks for these hints.  I do not have any ~/.curlrc.  On my mac, the
behavior was not affected in any way by --compress, --compressed,
--compressed-ssh, or --tr-encoding (two different curl versions).  This was
true for both the misbehaving mirror.facebook.net, as well as for a normal
mirror site.  It was as if our gateway was disabling or bypassing all of
these command line options, regardless of the target website.