Hoe To Troubleshoot MacPorts

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Wed Apr 10 12:40:50 UTC 2019

I’ve been using MacPorts for many years now. While I understand the basics, I often run into problems that I cannot solve. Without exception, I have been able to post those problems here and get near-immediate solutions. For that I am grateful.

On the other hand, I would ver much like to learn how to deal with these issues on my own. Usually, the solutions I’m offered are easy to follow, but nearly impossible to understand. I know what I’m doing,  But I don’t know why.

Where can I turn to learn about the inner workings of MacPorts? What the different log files are and what they mean? How to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it?

I've looked at the "How To" page, But that seems aimed at users more advanced than I and with needs and interests different from my own.

Any ideas?

TIA

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand.