XFCE desktop on XQuartz ?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 13:02:53 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have not run a full WM myself, but a number of ports have notes giving
so guidelines on how. e.g.

Titan ~ > port notes fvwm2
fvwm2 has the following notes:
   If this is your first install of an alternative WM, these steps
   may be helpful:
       $ mkdir ~/.xinitrc.d
       $ cat >~/.xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
       #!/bin/sh
       exec fvwm
       ^D
       $ chmod +x .xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
       $ open /Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app

you can probably adapt the above for other WMs.

looking at the above, it also seems they implicitly assumed you have
configured your X11 server to open in full-screen mode (which you can do
from the Preferences for it).

good luck

Chris