XFCE desktop on XQuartz ?

macports at raf.org macports at raf.org
Tue Apr 16 23:43:37 UTC 2019

Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have not run a full WM myself, but a number of ports have notes giving so
> guidelines on how. e.g.
>
> Titan ~ > port notes fvwm2
> fvwm2 has the following notes:
>   If this is your first install of an alternative WM, these steps
>   may be helpful:
>       $ mkdir ~/.xinitrc.d
>       $ cat >~/.xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
>       #!/bin/sh
>       exec fvwm
>       ^D
>       $ chmod +x .xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
>       $ open /Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app
>
> you can probably adapt the above for other WMs.
>
> looking at the above, it also seems they implicitly assumed you have
> configured your X11 server to open in full-screen mode (which you can do
> from the Preferences for it).

Just a warning: you can set full screen mode in
XQuartz's preferences and, a long time ago (X11.app
days), that would make it start in full screen mode.
More recently, however, you actually have to enter
Command-Alt-A to toggle into full screen mode after
XQuartz starts. It doesn't take over the screen
automatically when starting. I assume this behaviour is
the same in Mojave as well but I'm guessing.

cheers,
raf